Friday, August 6, 2010

Why is my ';mini rex'; rabbit setting off a ';foul'; smell?

I have had her for about 6 months and she has been fine the whole time(she is 3 yrs old) well, for the last 2 weeks or so every so often when I walk into my room that she is in all I can smell is this ';body odor'; scent(and NO, it is is not me!!!) it seems to be coming from her urine, why? She has a litter box and she always uses it, she seems fine otherwise, so why is she setting off this scent all the sudden? What can I do?Why is my ';mini rex'; rabbit setting off a ';foul'; smell?
Have you checked the underside of your rabbit? Rabbits have scent glands on the side of their genital area. Sometimes these glands get filled and very crusty. They can be a brown waxy color. This will cause a rabbit to have a strong odor. They can easily be cleaned.


Take a Q-tip dip it in some mineral oil and gently remove the waxy build up from the glands. After the wax is removed gently wash the area with a warm, wet, soapy washcloth. Then wipe again with a wash cloth with clean water.


you will have to do this every so often to keep them clean.





I raise Mini Rex they are great rabbits.Why is my ';mini rex'; rabbit setting off a ';foul'; smell?
Agreed, very good answer.





I just wanted to add, have you changed her diet lately? Or have you had company/kids over that could have given her treats often?





It could be that whatever she has eaten has changed the smell of her urine, or perhaps your cage needs to be cleaned with bleach to kill the bacteria in the drop pan/cage floor. Did you happen to change your hay/cage bottom materials lately?


A dilution of 10% bleach/90% water, left to soak in the cage bottom for 10 minutes, scrubbed with a metal BBQ brush, then rinsed twice with clean water will do the trick!





Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment